Sunday, February 08, 2009

Conversations with a 3-year old

Anthony has been cracking me up lately with the things he says. Well...cracking me up and sometimes making me mad!! He's starting to get more than a little sassy, too.

*****
For example, this week, he asked if he could have some tortilla chips. I told him he needed to have some fruit first. So he picked an apple out of the fruit basket - I watched him. A while later, he told me he finished it, and I gave him the chips. Later, when I was cleaning some things up, I asked him what he did with the apple core (he has a bad habit of leaving them laying around, and I get to find shriveled up cores days later).

Anthony: I put it in the trash can. (then, under his breath...) But don't look in the trash can or the fruit basket or you'll be mad.

Me: What did you just say?

Anthony: I said I put it in the trash can.

Me: No, what did you say AFTER that?

Anthony: I said don't look in the trash can or the fruit basket or you'll be mad.

Me: Why will I be mad? Did you eat an apple?

Anthony: Yes.

Me: Are you telling the truth?

Anthony: Yes. But don't look in the trash can or the fruit basket, because I don't want you to be mad.

So, of course, I looked in the trash can, and there was no apple core, and of course, the apple was still in the fruit basket. Cute.

*****

He has developed quite a habit of muttering under his breath. I don't know where he got that. Now it's getting sarcastic, and he's quick. One night this week, I was giving the kids their baths. I had gotten the girls finished and put them in bed, and I had already scolded Anthony several times about splashing too much water out onto the floor. I went back into the bathroom to get him washed up...

Me: Anthony, it is ridiculous how much water is on this floor!!

Anthony: (under his breath) There's not enough.

??? How old are you, again???

*****

Last week, he was in the bathroom for a REALLY long time. I was trying to get the kids dressed to go to children's bible study at a friend's house. I had prodded him several times to get moving and he kept telling me he was "going poop!" FINALLY he came upstairs...

Anthony: You know what I was doing while I was going poop?

Me: Um, no...?

Anthony: I was practicing my bible verses.

Aww...

*****

On Friday, I was working on an art journal. The pages are made by gluing 10 sheets of newspaper together with glue stick. Anthony wanted to help, so I gave him some extra sheets and he sat beside me at my desk and went to work.

Anthony: Oh my gosh, this is the funnest job ever!

Me: Really?

Anthony: Oh, yes, this is gonna be SO much fun. This is great. This is so fun, mama.

I couldn't get over how completely joyful and enthusiastic he was about such a simple thing!! He was just GUSHING.

****

He LOVES going to Sunday School, he has a great memory and loves learning his memory verses. He asks me to read his Preschooler's Bible to him all the time, and will sit for me to read 50-80 pages at a time (though getting the babies to let us have that much time is often a challenge!). He told me tonight that he was sad because his Sunday School teachers haven't chosen him to pray yet.

I just can't believe how fast he's growing up!

1 comment:

Sally said...

kids are so funny! I'll get my own conversations with a 3 yr. old this weekend, since I will be watching my nephew and niece overnight on Valentine's Day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...