I had my growth ultrasound with the perinatologist today; of course, it would happen that the one time I go to an appointment alone, things start to go wrong!! Baby A (no, no name yet - but the field has been narrowed to 4 possibilities!) looks great. She's weighing in at 4 lbs, 8 oz.
Baby B, Mackenzie, however, is not looking so great. She's only weighing in at 3 lbs, 6 oz, which is only the 15th %ile. Her amniotic fluid is on the low side, and they did a doppler study on her umbilical cord which gave an unfavorable reading as well. The combination of problems has the doctor concerned that her placenta is not adequately nourishing her, which is causing her failure to thrive.
So they did a non-stress test (NST) after the other tests - basically you just lay there while they strap monitors around your belly to monitor the babies' heartrates and activity levels, as well as contractions. Both babies did pass this test, so that was one good thing.
I will go back on Friday to check Mackenzie's fluid volume and umbilical cord again, and they will repeat the NST. Basically, if at any point things look worse, they will do a c-section to get the babies out. From here until I deliver, I will have NST's twice weekly and the other tests once a week. They'll do another growth scan in 3 weeks (if I'm still pregnant by then!).
I have to admit that while the contractions don't freak me out, this news does have me scared. Friday feels like FOREVER to wait to find out more! Please send up extra prayers that Mackenzie will be nourished and start to grow better, and that both babies will be protected and healthy.