Tuesday, January 22, 2008

No time for mommy to get sick!!

Well, last night I ended up taking an ambulance ride to the hospital. About 4:00 p.m. yesterday, I was home alone with Anthony and Makayla, while Darrell visited Mackenzie in the NICU. I had just eaten a pear, and I suddenly had severe stomach pain and nausea. I thought I was coming down with a GI bug or something. I took some nausea medicine in the hopes it would help - I HATE throwing up!! Alas, it didn't work and I proceeded to lose everything I had eaten the entire day. The pain got progressively worse and moved over to the right side and wrapped around my back. I left Darrell a couple messages asking him to please come home, and when he called me back, I told him I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital, the pain was so unbearable. He called some friends to come over, not knowing if he was going to have to take me or what. By the time he and they got here, there was no way I could sit up for a car ride anywhere, and Darrell had to call an ambulance. I'm telling you, the pain was as bad as labor!! You know it's got to be bad for me to be willing to go to JFK hospital (it's the closest but also the most ghetto and busiest).

So when I got there, they did some labs, gave me some nausea medicine and pain medicine - which made the pain bearable but did NOT take it away - and did an abdominal ultrasound. They assumed it was my gallbladder. I figured it wasn't, since this is the 3rd or 4th time over the past couple years I've had an attack like this (though this was by far the worst), and they always think it's my gallbladder, but they never find any stones. So, of course, once again, no stones...so they sent me home without an explanation for the pain. The Dilaudid held me for the night, but today, the pain is bad again. I ate half a piece of dry toast and a cup of chicken broth, and it made the pain worse.

So my thoughts are that it's either an ulcer/reflux issues with radiating pain (brought on by the 800-mg motrins I've been taking since delivery!), or I'm wondering if you can have gallbladder issues without actually having stones. At any rate, I've called the doctor and am waiting for a call back regarding getting an appointment to be seen. Fortunately, Anthony's done a good job of entertaining himself today, and he'll be in daycare the rest of the week. I think he's currently re-enacting last night's drama - he's playing with his fire engine!! (You know, of course, when you call for an ambulance, they feel it necessary to send a fire engine as well!)

So prayers for mommy's tummy would be appreciated!!

And, yay, my mom's coming back a week from today!!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...