Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dishtowel Apron and Coasters

While we were on our vacation, my sister Karen and I got a chance to do some shopping for inspiration. I love finding bits and pieces of fabric and repurposing them for things other than what they were intended. As we were wandering through Crate & Barrel - drooling over all the things we had no money for - I came across a set of 2 dishtowels that I immediately fell in love with. How could I not? Tea pots, flowers in vases, lemons and artichokes and apples...and birds!! All in bright colors - they were just calling my name! I immediately envisioned a hostess apron, surrounded by red trim...and amazingly, I made it out of the store with ONLY these dishtowels!!

And then my sister took me to some awesome discount stores...places unlike anything I've seen near where I live...and at Building 19, I found the perfect red trim...several yards for only $.50 - not $.50/yard - but the entire bundle for only $.50. It was a match made in sewing heaven.

I came home and a couple weeks went by, and I was furiously sewing things for a boutique sale, and I finally got a chance to work on my apron. It came together wonderfully...just like I had envisioned in my head. I used a red with white polka dots fabric for the waistband and ties, making the ties extra long so it can be tied in the front.

But what to do with the rest of the towel, I wondered?? It was such gorgeous fabric, I had to do SOMETHING with it. Coasters!!! I wanted them to be wipeable, and I already had iron-on vinyl, so I went online in a search for ideas. I found this tutorial, which cinched it up for me. They were super easy to make, and I love how they turned out. I used a home-dec weight fabric on the back, since the dishtowel was also about that same weight.



So, from one dishtowel (with a little extra trim and fabric added), I got an adorable hostess apron and a set of 6 coasters - not bad!!

And now...a bit of REALLY exciting news...are you ready????





Are you SURE you're ready???








No, I'm NOT pregnant...goodness, no...



My sister Karen and I are going into business together!!! We are building the website now, and have already applied for our L.L.C.. I'm not going to tell you much more...but you will LOVE what we will have to offer! More to come soon...


2 comments:

Sally said...

Can't wait to hear more!

Jona Giammalva said...

CUTE apron!! Wouldn't that print be fun on regular fabric??! Gaga!

Congratulations on the business...may it prosper greatly!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...