Monday, July 13, 2009

Does your cleft baby pocket her food?

From her head...

...to her toes...

...she was covered in blueberries!!!

And mighty proud of it!

Her crib fared no better, as you can see...

This is what I found when I went to pick Mackenzie up from her nap this afternoon. I had laid the girls down for an early nap around 9:45 a.m., since they had both woken up before 6:00 a.m. this morning, and I was hosting a children's bible study here at 10:00. For breakfast, the girls had oatmeal with fresh blueberries in it. Around 12:30-ish, I heard the girls, and went to them...and this is what I discovered.

Now...Mackenzie has been pocketing her food for a while, but until now, it's always been meat or the occasional hard-to-chew vegetable. I don't think I've ever caught her sneaking away with any fruit in her mouth; certainly not any that she actually LIKES!! And anytime she's eaten anything I even suspect she might pocket, I'm pretty good about doing a finger sweep of her cheeks before I get her down from her high chair, because I'm afraid if I let her keep food stuffed away in there, she might eventually choke on it. But I had NO CLUE, obviously, today, that she had blueberries hidden away in those chipmunk cheek of hers!

Oh well...lesson learned! Always, always, check those cheeks! Now to see how well Shout and Oxy-Clean do against blueberry stains in the wash...

Anyone else out there with a cleft baby/child have a problem with pocketing food? Any suggestions and/or funny stories to share??

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...