Sunday, December 12, 2010

12 Tags of Christmas - Day 12!!! (only a few missing!)


So...I'm not admitting I have a problem...or a crafting addiction or anything.  But I did stay up 'til midnight last night just to see the 12th and final tag of Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas.  Oh - and then, I was so inspired by HIS tag, and his wonderful videos, that I may have stayed up all night long creating MY version of tag #12.  But I don't think I have a problem.  Just sayin'....


So, once again, I was completely and totally inspired by Tim.  Did I have the products he used on his tag?  Nope...hardly any of them.  I think the only two products HE had that I used were the Brick Red distress ink and the Rock Candy crackle paint.  Well, those, and I had my own version of some evergreen and pine cones.  Other than that - it was ALL creative improvising.  Which is what I think I love most about this whole experience...it totally stretches me creatively, and forces me to think outside the box.  I have to go through my stash (and seriously, folks - while my Tim stash is minimal, my crafting stash?  is not.  I have a craft room SMOOSHED full of crafting supplies and stash!) and figure out what I can use in new ways that I wouldn't have thought of before.  I LOVE THAT!

So...how did I do it?  
  • The background - I used a piece of pattered paper from a K&Co Christmas paper pad, which I've been loving.  It has wonderful vintage appeal.  

  • The ornament?  I found a pack of chipboard ornaments and snowflakes in my stash.  It wasn't *quite* the shape I wanted, so I cut it with scissors a bit to re-shape it.  It obviously doesn't have the word "JOY" cut out of it - and I definitely would still LOVE to have Tim's ornament die and the word shapers - as well as the magnetic tray - SO versatile - but for now, I was totally stoked about finding this ornament in my stash!  And I love the way the Rock Candy crackle paint blends with the distress ink - so cool!!  Isn't that shiny crackle just beautiful?!
  • The corners?  I don't have any of Tim's awesome corners.  But I did find some copper 1/4 inch metal tape in my stash.  I decided to experiment.  I put three strips of tape down on a piece of scrap cardstock.  Then I ran it through Tim's postcard embossing folder with my Sizzix Big Kick, to give it texture.  I applied a bit of Glossy Accents to the back, and wrapped it around the corners - and voila - my homemade metal corners!
  • The calendar?  I don't have a December calendar stamp.  But I do have a package of Maya Road mini calendar sheers.  It didn't really take the distress ink very well, so I inked a scrap piece of manila cardstock, then glued the sheer to the cardstock, and distressed the edge.  I love that it shows 2010 on it, so that I will always know what year this was made!



  • I used a gorgeous, lightly glittered evergreen leaf, rather than pine needles, for my greenery.  I added a few red berries and a few miniature pine cones, attaching all of them with my hot glue gun.  I would be LOST without my hot glue gun!!
  • I finished it off with a piece of green ribbon on the top.

So, there you have it.  My version of the 12th tag.  I love how clean and fresh it is.  It really is a lovely finish to  the 12 tags, I think.  Don't worry - I still plan to go back and complete the 8 I have missed...I just have to find the time!!  (I can't stay up all night, every night...I *do* have four children who need me to be in an upright position and somewhat coherent during the day!)  The four I have finished do look beautiful on our mantel!!

6 comments:

Erin Glee said...

You did a beautiful job on your tag, Jen! The surface of the ornament really is gorgeous and I love your improvised corners!
Keep on creating but do take time for little things like sleeping and eating... Tim does not have 4 little ones to take care of... did you get a chance to nap today because DH was home? Hope so! We don't want you getting sick again...

Kathy Eddy said...

Very nice take on the tag Jen. I love that round calendar and your greens you used.

Karen said...

Beautiful tag Jen. Love how you made the corners and the pine cone arrangement.
You look after yourself though! Sleep is important for recharging the batteries :)

Karen said...

Your tag is beautiful and how ingenious to make your "metal" corners! Great idea!

Unknown said...

Just beautiful! I love your calendar!

Unknown said...

Love the new blog! Such a cute name!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...