Thursday, December 23, 2010

The (Paper) Trailmakers Challenge Blog - Guest Design Team Project (and Tim tag #10!)


The second challenge for this month at The (Paper) Trailmaker Challenge blog was to somehow incorporate a tag, using the December Paper Trail kit.  Since I have been trying my best to work on Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of Christmas (I am soooo behind, not to mention doing them totally out of order!)...I decided to try using the Paper Trail kit to make one of the Tim Holtz tags, and this is what I came up with.  

I chose day 10 to work with the kit papers, because I thought the snowflake paper went perfectly with this tag - it is SUCH a cool technique!!  You can see Tim's original tag here.  I started out by tracing a standard size 8 manila tag onto the light blue snowflake paper and cutting it out. I glued the paper to the tag, and punched a hole at the top.  I used my  white Adirondack paint dabber along the edges.  Then I randomly dabbed some paint all over the paper, and quickly, before it dried, sprinkled some glass glitter over it - the paint acts as a glue for the glitter.  In the lower right corner, I also added some Glossy Accents, so I could add a LOT of the glitter, to make it appear as if there was a snowdrift.


Then, following Tim's instructions on his blog, I made my snowman out of grungepaper.  I cut the holly leaves for the snowman's hat out of the same paper - but showing the green "Merry Christmas" side, and used a hole punch to punch out berries from the red cardstock in the kit.  I used a cardstock sticker from the kit on the snowman's belly.  


I used the red organdy ribbon from the kit for the snowman's scarf.  I tied it in a knot, but was having a hard time getting it to stay down, so used my Tiny Attacher to put a little staple in it when I adhered the snowman to the tag.  I used my heat gun on the tails of the "scarf," which melted it a little and gave it a sort of wrinkly, more scarf-looking appearance.  I thought it was pretty cool!!


Then, following Tim's instructions, I cut a piece of clear packaging material (yes, PACKAGING!!) I had saved from one of his products, to the size of the tag, and embossed it with my snowflake embossing folder.  I punched a whole in the top, and then used my Cropadile to punch holes in all four corners to use copper brads to adhere the embossed tag over the snowman tag.  I attached the gorgeous shimmery white ribbon from the kit through the top of the tag.  Finally, I took three of the little cardstock banner stickers, edged them with distress ink, wrote "Fa la la" on them, and adhered them to the embossed tag.  


I hope you've enjoyed this tag as much as I enjoyed making it!  And you should definitely check out Tim's other 11 tags for more awesome inspiration!!  And if you've been inspired to make some tags, or to add a tag or two to a project of your own, be sure to link up to the challenge post here.

I want to take a minute to thank Karen and the entire design team at The Paper Trail team for letting me play along with them this month - it's been a true pleasure working with them!!  Even after all of these projects I've made this month, I still have TONS of product left from this awesome December kit - so if you still haven't ordered your December Paper Trail kit, you really should do so ASAP!!  You'll be wanting it to scrap all of your Christmas photos after the holidays, for sure!!  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...