Monday, February 21, 2011

Product Review: Glue Glider Pro

I love adhesives...is that weird to say?  But really, I do!  As a crafter who ventures into all areas of crafting, I constantly find myself needing varying types of adhesives, and I am always on the look-out for better quality and easier-to-use adhesives.  I just recently got to use the Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro for the first time, and I have to say - it was love at first use!  So let me tell you some of the things I love about it...


First off, it's ergonomically great for me.  I happen to have extremely weak hand and finger muscles due to neuropathy, so I often struggle with adhesives that are smaller, require lots of squeezing, or are otherwise clumsy to hold...but the Glue Glider Pro is the perfect size, and fits easily in my entire hand.  It doesn't require a lot of strength to apply the adhesive, either.  Just press down with a bit of pressure, and pull - and it leaves a nice line of adhesive.

Also, the cartridges are very easy to remove and replace - another bonus!  I hate struggling to replace cartridges or switch them out when I want to change to a different adhesive type.

To remove cartridge, simply pull straight out - no buttons to push, very easy!
To remove cartridge, simply pull straight out - no buttons to push, very easy!

To replace cartridge, simply push straight in - SIMPLE!
To replace cartridge, simply push straight in - SIMPLE!
The cartridge you see here is the Perma-Tac cartridge.  It is 1/4" wide, and lays down permanent adhesive rectangles every 1/8".  I tried the Perma-Tac cartridge out on some basic paper-crafting, and was very happy with it's sticking power.  I found a little bit to go a long way, and loved that I didn't need to lay down a full strip of adhesive to stick a full strip of paper - I was able to lift the applicator and lay down bits here and there, and the paper still stuck very well.

But the Glue Glider Pro is far more versatile than just this one cartridge - and this is another thing I love about it!  Check out this list of the different types of cartridges available for it - and they all fit in this same holder!

List of the cartridges available for Glue Glider Pro
List of the cartridges available for Glue Glider Pro
The extra one on the list that I was MOST excited about is this one...

Fabric Bond cartridge for Glue Glider Pro
Fabric Bond cartridge
That's right - a Fabric Bond cartridge!  Per the package description, this "temporarily sticks fabric together, bonds permanently when ironed."  How awesome is that?!  Plus, the back of the package lets you know how well it works on different types of materials!

Back of package shows success on varying types of material
Back of package shows success on varying types of material
I can definitely see me using this cartridge in my fabric-crafting endeavors, for things like making bias tape, doing applique, or temporarily holding hems in place until I can stitch - rather than pinning!

All in all, I think the Glue Glider Pro gives great bang for your buck - you can get it for just $11.97 from Consumer Crafts, and that includes the 40-foot Perma-Tac cartridge!

And, my awesome friend Jenny over at Craft Test Dummies has given the Glue Glider Pro the much-coveted and not-often-given "Craft Test Dummies Seal of Approval!"  Check out her review here.

What about you?  Have you tried the Glue Glider Pro?  What do you think about it?  I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

Sally said...

I DO have a Glue Glider Pro! I like it, for some of the same reasons that you do...ease of changing cartridges....smaller size, but not too small. (I have a bigger 3M adhesive dispenser that is way too bulky/awkward to cart around when I go with friends, etc). I did not know about the Fabric Bond cartridge! I will have to search that out and order one (or two )

Julia Sandvoss said...

What a great post Jen! Thanks for sharing this!!

Girlsinthecraft said...

Yes, I have one and love it! The ease of changes cartridges is wonderful. It has never jammed up on me or the tape reel hasn't broken like other tape runners, rendering them useless. REALLY intrigued by the fabric adhesive runner. Haven't seen it available locally yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...