Thursday, March 17, 2011

Easy Birthday Banner


I've been wanting to make a birthday banner for our family for a long time, but like so many projects, it just hasn't gotten done.  But my baby, my oldest son, turns 6 today!  (SO hard to believe!)  Last week, I was determined that I would have a banner to put up for his birthday, but I knew I didn't have the time or energy to do the kind of banner I've had on my mind (a fabric banner), so I decided to figure something else out that would make do until I can do something else.

I found the site Lettering Delights a while ago, and I just ADORE their graphics and fonts - they have SO many cute things.  There are lots of freebies you can get just for signing up (which is free), and then there are various things you can purchase and download as well.  Right now they are actually having Dollar Days, and have TONS of stuff on sale...I have a long wish list!  Fonts for a dollar, graphics sets for $2.00...really great deals!!  You can print these things out - OR, you can CUT them out on your craft cutter - like your Cricut (using certain programs), your E-Craft, or your Silhouette.  Click on the link to go check them out!


Anyway, I downloaded this free Banner Day Alphabet, and printed out the letters I needed for a Happy Birthday banner on matte photo paper, 2 to a page at the 5x7 size.  I cut them out using my paper cutter.


Then I laminated them using my Xyron 900, using the double sided laminated cartridge.  


This is how they look after going through the Xyron


Then I cut them apart into individual pieces.  You don't have to be exact on this step, because the laminating is clear, so people won't really be seeing that part once the banner is hung.  Just be sure not to cut too close to the paper, or you will separate the laminating sides from each other and create an opening.

I used my Crop-a-dile to punch holes in them - I just separated them into two stacks and was able to punch through them more quickly that way.  I strung the pieces on simple white paper twine (Ikea), and the banner was finished.  It took me less than an hour, and my son loves it!

1 comment:

Sally said...

This banner is very cute! I've been thinking for a while that I need to make some sort of banner, too...but haven't gotten around to it. I think I'll put it on my summber list of things I'd like to do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...