Sunday, October 24, 2010

CCC #18 - A Christmas Tag

This week's Compendium of Curiosities Challenge was the Paint Dabber resist technique.  I am also entering this in this weeks' Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge, where the challenge was, "Anything but a Card!"  I think a tag will most definitely fit the bill!  I'm a bit over Halloween at this point (and it's not even here yet!), so I'm moving on to Christmas!  (At least for this week...we'll see what next week brings...who knows?!)  I love this reindeer stamp - and it's part of a stamp set I got for a whopping $2.00 at the Scrapbook Expo I went to yesterday!!  What a steal!


While I can't share the details of the technique I used as far as the dabber resist technique, I will share that the distress ink colors I used were Barn Red, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint, and Vintage Photo.  My dabber color was white.  I also heat embossed around the edges of the entire card with Peeled Paint distress embossing powder.  


I finally got the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals Sizzix dies - YAY!  I used what the ladies at Jo-Ann's insisted is crinoline (I wouldn't know the difference...except it doesn't really look like the crinoline Tammy Tutterow uses for her flowers...) to make the flower.  I combined several layers in different sizes.  I sprayed them with a combination of Glimmer Mists, homemade shimmer mists, and the top red one got painted with Glimmer Glam.  I then used Rock Candy Distress Stickles over several of the petals sort of randomly.  I used the Peeled Paint distress embossing powder on a black button and glued it in the center.  I inserted a memo pin (love those), and attached an adage ticket, which I had inked lightly around the edges with some Barn Red distress ink.


I also added a couple pieces of Tim Holtz's Tidings tissue tape to a couple corners of the tag, and used my finger to apply some distress ink to the tape.  I do so love how the white of the stamp stands out against the inks!!!  Here's yet another pic of the stamped reindeer, as well as the tissue tape.


Someone reminded me that Christmas is just 2 months away!  Have you started to prepare your handmade gifts?

5 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Oh, wow, wonderful work. Your fabric flower is fabulous!! Love the colors you used.

I've been using canvas, but am getting a bit tired of it - time to move on to something new! I have never used crinoline - need to run to Jo-Ann and check it out - LOL! Thanks for the inspiration! Terrific take on the "anything but a card challenge". So happy you could join in the fun with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week!

Sally said...

Your tag is gorgeous! I love it! I can't wait to see whatever the next project is!

I don't always trust what the ladies at JoAnn's say, but based on what I saw in at least one photo on Tammy's blog, the crinoline seems to be the same (at least from what I can tell from the photos).

JenW!~ said...

Very lovely. I really like the flower. There are different types of crinoline but your flower turned out very nice.

Linda Ledbetter said...

Wow, Jen, great score on that $2 stamp set! This reindeer is darling, and worked beautifully for the dabber resist technique. The colors you chose are beautiful, and the Tissue Tape and little ticket look great. And how 'bout that flower?! LOVE IT! It's wicked cool, and so perfect for this gorgeous Christmas piece.

You knocked this outta the park, my dear. Great, great job!

Kathy Eddy said...

This looks great! I love your flower. Isn't that tattered florals die the coolest one out there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...