Monday, October 18, 2010

Thankful Card with Ink Bleeding Technique

I am participating in a free inking techniques class on 2 Peas given by Jennifer McGuire, called Holiday Thinking Inking.  (I actually missed the first week, though I did watch the videos, and jumped right in during the second week - so you can jump in NOW too!)  The instruction videos are posted both on Jennifer's blog and on 2 Peas, but you need to upload your challenge entries to your gallery on 2 Peas.  
Anyway, I made this card as part of the second week's challenges, using a technique called "ink bleeding."  This technique is shown here on the leaves.  I stamped a leaf (unknown brand) onto watercolor paper using distress ink, then spritzed the stamped image with water a few times to allow the ink to bleed.  Once I got the desired effect, I used my heat gun to dry it and stop the bleeding.  I repeated this two more times with different colors.  It is an especially nice effect for leaves, as it gives them a "veiny" look.
After the leaves were completed, I carefully cut them out, and used some Vintage Photo distress ink around the edges of them to give them more depth.  I also applied some Antique Linen with a foam ink applicator over them to soften the look.  Finally, I added some color-coordinating distress stickles to each one and dried  them with my heat gun.  (Note: do not heat regular Stickles with a heat gun, as it will bubble - only Distress Stickles are formulated to be able to withstand heating.)

Next, I started on the card.  I cut a piece of cardstock that was 9"x6.5" and scored it slightly off the middle lengthwise, so that when I used the scallop punch on the front, the front and back would line up.  After using the scallop punch along the long side of the front, I used distress inks to add some color on all 4 sides of the front of the card.  I added a strip of Tim Holtz Nostalgic tissue tape along the folded side, and colored it with distress inks (LOVE the tissue tape - you've GOT to try this stuff!!).  I found that my finger was the best bet for applying ink to specific spots on the tape.  

Then I used my brand new Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 14 - which I've been lusting after for a VERY long time and just got in on Saturday - to cut two sizes from two coordinating pieces of DCWV patterned paper.  I added some Vintage Photo distress ink around the edges of the larger one and glued it down lengthwise on the card.  I added distress ink to the smaller one, as well, all over, and then stamped my sentiment using brown Staz-on ink.  I then used my copper Adirondack Paint Dabber to go around the edges of the smaller one to highlight it.  I used foam squares to pop up the sentiment label and adhered it horizontally over the larger label.  

Finally, before I was ready to adhere my leaves to the card, I felt the bottom of the card needed something, so I used a large flourish stamp (Donna Downey for Unity) with Spiced Marmalade distress ink (masking the tissue tape so as not to stamp over it) to add a background.  I then used foam squares to adhere the leaves, using different levels of squares so the leaves are not all popped up at the same height.

You can see the incredible, vintage-feeling sparkle the distress stickles add to the leaves.  I just love them!!

I hope you feel inspired to make something inky or showing gratitude yourself!  And come join me in the Holiday Thinking Inking class - we are only starting week 3 of 8, so there are still plenty of inky techniques for you to learn and try out!

(P.S. I still have one more card to show you from week 2!!)

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...