Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Mama to Mama: the Caps to Cap-Haitian Project

As we start to get into the holiday season, it's easy to get caught up in the festivities and the decorations and the gifts. But if you're like me, it's also a time of year when I am overwhelmed with gratitude for how incredibly blessed I am, and the desire to give is strong - to give beyond just my immediate family and friends. And yet, sometimes when I look at the world, it seems so overwhelming - so many problems, so much need - where do I start?

Amanda, from SouleMama, author of The Creative Family, has just started an incredible project that really excites me. The bigger project is called Mama to Mama, and this is what Amanda says about it:
"As crafters, the reasons we create are many. Just one may be to spread a little bit of peace into the world, to make a small but meaningful difference in one person's life through a simple act of crafting with intention. Mama to Mama seeks to find ways to connect handcrafters with mothers, children and families in need of a little bit of handmade love." -Amanda Soule

The immediate, specific project she has started is the Caps to Cap-Haitian Project. Haiti has a very high maternal and infant death rate, and there is a current project going on where they are putting together safe birthing kits, which include newborn caps. I am thrilled by how simple it is to make a difference for these mamas and babies. I can't wait to go through my drawers and closet to find some t-shirts and get to sewing some little baby caps!! Click on the link, where you will find a description and more information, as well as a PDF download with the pattern and instructions for making the caps.

photo by amanda soule

1 comment:

Sally said...

I think I'm going to do this! It wouldn't take any time at all. I already downloaded the instructions and pattern.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...