Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Roasted Acorn Squash

Mmm...I wasn't a big fan of winter squash when I was growing up, but as an adult, I've grown to LOOOOVE it, especially when roasted and sweetened up a bit! I fixed this last night, and even Anthony gobbled up two slices of it - which is a big kudos, since he rarely eats veggies of his own will!!

To start, simply cut open an acorn squash in half, and use a spoon to scoop out the insides. I toss them, though I suppose maybe you could roast the seeds like pumpkin seeds - I've never tried it myself. Then slice them into hefty pieces - about 3-4 per half. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over them, then add salt and freshly-ground pepper, and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until tender.

You can eat them just like that. Or you can take it a step further. You could drizzle warm maple syrup over them. Or you could sprinkle some brown sugar over them and broil for a couple minutes. I melted some brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup together and drizzled it over them - wow! Yum! A perfect fall side dish!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...