Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Boo! A fun Halloween tag


This tag has actually been in progress for a couple weeks now...I just didn't know what I was going to do with it!  Does that ever happen to you?  I started off with a color palette that I loved...green, purple, and orange...for Halloween.  I had some Glimmer Mist in "Tiger Lily," which I don't think exists any more, but is my favorite orange, and I had some homemade shimmery mist in purple and green.  But FIRST, I wanted to try something else out.  I had this roll of white Martha Stewart spider web felt I got on clearance last year after Halloween.  I wondered if I could use it in my Sizzix Big Kick to emboss this tag - and as it turns out, I WAS able to...by putting the felt on top of the multi-use platform, then my tag, then the rubber embossing mat, then the black plate...and a couple pieces of cardstock under the whole thing to shim it.  

So after I embossed it, I rubbed my Spiced Marmalade distress ink pad over the embossed spider web (you can see it diagonal across the tag.  Then I spritzed the glimmer mists on the tag - some purple on the top, some orange in the middle, and some green on the bottom.  Next, I ran all the edges of the tag through my Zutter Distrezz-it-All, and then inked the edges with Walnut Stain distress ink.  (I would have used Black Soot if I had it, but that's a color I don't have yet.)  Then, I used a homemade spider mask I had cut on my Cricut using the Tim Holtz masks, and inked over it with some Walnut Stain distress ink in a couple places on the orange spider web.  I just love how you can still see the shimmer of the glimmer mists even under the distress ink, and how all the colors blend together so well!!  Then, I glued on a piece of black felt spider web (yes, Martha DOES have black out this year, but this is actually white that I dyed black with black ink).  


I used my newest fun tool - the Martha Stewart scoring board - and made a rosette using a 1"x12" piece of Tim Holtz's Lost & Found cardstock.  I punched a coordinating circle for the center, stamped a Cricut-cut bat on it, and covered the whole center circle with Spiced Marmalade Distress Stickles.  I am totally in love with distress stickles!!  I glued the rosette onto the tag, and stamped another Cricut-cut stamp, "Boo," above it.


Finally, my finishing touches.  I threaded some black organdy ribbon and orange satin ribbon through the hole at the top of the tag.  I then took a small safety pin and used black Staz-on ink to color it a bit so it wasn't so shiny silver.  Then I added a few black and silver beads (from an old necklace) to the safety pin using jewelry pliers.  I love that special touch they give the tag!!


I still haven't decided what my kids are going to be for Halloween this year...but at least this little tag is getting me in the mood!!  Have you started any Halloween decorating or crafts?  What about you?  Any costumes in the works?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...