Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Oh my gosh - look what I made!!!

Can you believe this is my very first sewing project EVER???? I cannot believe how cute they turned out!! I used this pattern and tutorial, which was excellent. The girls are asleep right now or I'd take a pic and show you how completely adorable they look on them...I only was able to finish one of them last night, and I put it on each of them this morning, and it looks so cute. It fits Makayla better than Mackenzie, but it's still okay even on Mackenzie, just a little looser.

It did take a LONG time - I started around 8:30 last night, and stayed up until 1:30 a.m., and then just spent about 30 minutes this morning finishing the second one. But considering much of that time was just getting to know my sewing machine and learning how to sew in general, I don't think that's too bad for a first-timer!! I also was trying to get my machine to make button holes, to make it more professional looking for the slits where the elastic goes through, but for the life of me, I couldn't get it to work...stupid manual has TERRIBLE directions!! One step says, "Attach the buttonhole foot." Um, do you think I have a clue how to even do THAT??? And then I finally got it all hooked up and tried it, but it didn't work, and my bobbin thread got all tangled and my handwheel wouldn't even turn, and I had to take the bobbin out and take some other parts out, and I was walking blind trying to figure out what the heck I was doing...praying the whole time that I'd be able to get the thing put back together!! But I did, and it worked, and look at my cute little baby shoes!! I do think Susan (Mackenzie's teacher) was right - this really wasn't a beginner's project! But since when do I start out small - remember the wainscoting??

They are definitely FAR from perfect (which is kind of hard for the perfectionist in me), and let me tell you, sewing a 3D object is NOT easy...especially for someone who has never even sewn flat stuff before. But you have to assemble the shoe, pin it all together, and then sew around the entire thing - and I had the hardest time with that. But I am amazed at how even though the inside may look kind of terrible, the outside still looks cute!

So, I'm thinking sewing some flat stuff should be pretty easy after this! My next project is to make a cute pin cushion, with a free pattern from Heather Bailey; wish I had her fabric to do it in, but I don't, so I'll have to make do!!

So...what do you think???

6 comments:

Karen said...

So cute - I'm very impressed!!!

Mama Parker said...

WOW! I'm so impressed and can't believe that this was your first time sewing! They turned out so cute. Did you ever hear back from Walmart about your old sewing machine?

Crafty Mom said...

very, very cute. As always, I'm amazed at your creative talent and motivation to just jump right in & learn how to do it! And, I agree with Susan, definitely not a beginner project.

burb said...

They are so cute. Proud of you, girl!

Barefootmama said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I went to college for Fashion and this project is something I would run away from, so I think you did a great job!

Can't wait to see your next project :)

dcarlson said...

How cute are those! Keep the projects coming. I love the updates!
Darcy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...