Monday, September 22, 2008

A Taste of Fall

So, I've shown you the sights of fall in my home...today we got to taste fall! I've been craving pumpkin muffins...well, really, pumpkin-anything! I didn't have a pumpkin muffin recipe, so I decided to make up my own. This was a first for me. I've never made up my own baking recipe before. Cooking, sauteing, grilling...those I can handle improvising on. Baking, I pretty much stick to the recipes for. But there's a first time for everything, and so create, I did.

And, if I do say so myself, they turned out to be quite delish. I believe Anthony agreed, seeing as how he scarfed down not one, not two, but THREE muffins. My mom and others who know how little this boy eats will understand how significant that is!!













Okay, so here's how I did it:

1 C. sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar
2 T. olive oil
3/4 C. applesauce
3 eggs
1/2 C. lowfat, plain yogurt
1 15-oz can pumpkin

Beat all of the above ingredients together well.

In a separate bowl, mix the following:

1 1/2 C. white flour
1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3 T. brewers yeast*
3/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. salt

Slowly add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix well.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour batter into greased muffin tins, to 3/4 full. This should make 24 regular sized muffins or 12 large (or as I made, 12 regular and 6 large). Bake regular size muffins for 15 minutes; large muffins for 18 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 1 minute, then remove to rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

*I added the brewer's yeast b/c I am trying to boost my milk supply. If you are not, as I am, trying to breastfeed 2 hungry babies, or even one, for that matter, feel free to omit this ingredient!! :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sally said...

Those sound really good! And I am completely jealous of your KitchenAid mixer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...