Monday, September 15, 2008

School time

Anthony has been very interested in school lately. He has several workbooks, thanks to my mom and Darrell, and some flashcards I got him, but I admit that I rarely sit down with him to work on any of them. He, however, is SO interested in them that he will, of his own accord, get out a workbook, and stand at his desk, tracing letters and numbers for an HOUR, uninterrupted!! Anyway, I feel like I'm failing him, because he obviously has SO much potential and I've done little to encourage continued learning and growth in this area...not like I've had my hands full of anything else...but still! So, about a week ago, I told him that we would start doing "school time," during the day while daddy is at work and the girls are asleep. That's usually my "hurry up and get things done" time, but I'll just have to figure out other ways to get my work done!

So he hasn't forgotten my promise, and has been begging me to do school time...so finally, today, we did it. First he did some worksheets on colors and matching, then some worksheets on shapes, then he did some addition flashcards using dry noodles to count, and finally, he glued noodles onto paper to spell his name...he thought that was VERY cool! We probably spent about 45 minutes total, and he still wasn't ready to be done, but it was lunch time and I was starving!

4 comments:

.:Heather:. said...

cool idea, the noodle projects! I esp. like the addition idea! good job, mama!

Mama Parker said...

What a smarty pants!

Anonymous said...

I like the addition idea too and the name.. I was the same with Erik when I was too busy doing my schooling... I had to put him in preschool.

Sally said...

Does he already know all of the sounds that correspond to all of the letters? If not, you could always work on that...but if so (which I am guessing might be the case) you can always work on giving him simple words...cat...ball...mug, etc. and having him listen for the sounds and write it down.... or you could just give him words and have him listen for the sound at the beginning/end.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...